You don’t have to be rich to make a difference in someone’s life. Millions of ordinary people like to help the less fortunate. I personally get a “high” from volunteering, similar to the good feelings that come from exercise. You can make a difference today, everyday… and change the world forever without breaking the bank.
10 great ways to spread kindness this Christmas:
1) Don’t worry about giving “small” – “Do your little bit of good where you are; it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.” ― Desmond Tutu
2) Give! Give what you can, when you can. As Anne Frank said in The Diary of Anne Frank, “No one has ever become poor by giving.” There is always something you can give.
3) Do consider using your skills, experience and talents to help out as an alternative to giving money.
5) Surf for the earth. Powered by Google, Ecosearch.org returns search results with an environmental kick: The site donates 100 percent of search revenues to nonprofits, such as Rainforest Alliance and the Sierra Club.
6) Tutor. Whether you’re helping a student understand Macbeth or teaching an adult the basics of reading, literacy tutoring can be a fun–and important–way to donate your time. Log on to LiteracyDirectory.org to learn more.
7) Invite a solo friend or acquaintance to your holiday meal.
8) Give Blood. One pint of blood can save up to three lives. Donate blood at your local Red Cross. Community drives happen regularly and many large communities have places where you can donate throughout the year.
9) Volunteer a few hours at a local food bank, community kitchen, hospital, elderly home or charity drive. Your time is one of the greatest gifts you can give!
10) Make it simple, make kindness your religion. The spirit of Christmas is all about giving. It’s about gratitude for your blessings and sharing with others. Express gratitude this holiday season with graciousness and gratitude. And don’t forget — be kind to yourself too! You deserve it.